Saturday, November 20, 2010

venison chili...just like the pioneers

Saturdays are for…
Pulling out the sleeping bags and dragging each other around in them or sliding down the stairs in them or cuddling up to watch Mr. Bean in them...




































Knit. Purl. Knit. Purl.  Every possible “spare” minute  (When will I learn and start these in June?)…
Overflowing with thankfulness…
 






































A pot of chili…

I’ll be the first to admit, I never thought I could cook with deer.  But, we were given some venison.  The thought of cooking with Bambi was just a little disturbing to me.  So I tried to think of myself as being all pioneer-like and was inspired.  I thought chili was the most incognito dish I could hide some in.  No apology needed for the substitution... It was delicious!  So, thanks to the true pioneers who shot the deer with a bow and arrow and shared their bounty with us :)

I know everyone has their own version of chili, and you can just substitute venison for the ground beef.  But, here's what I did.
Chili
1 lb. venison (or ground beef)
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
15 oz. dark red kidney beans
15 oz.  light red kidney beans
15 oz. chili beans
1 quart (or 30 oz.) canned tomatoes
1 pint canned salsa (or, you could use another 15 oz. tomatoes)
1 T. cumin powder (I also used 1 T. cumin seeds this time)
2 t. chili powder
bunch of chopped cilantro, because we add that to everything
Brown meat with onion, pepper, and celery.  Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Add undrained cans of beans and tomatoes.  Simmer (atleast 20 minutes, but the longer the better).  Adjust spices to liking.  Add cilantro just before serving.  (Picture taken before this...)
Good served with tortilla chips and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment