Wednesday, November 3, 2010

chocolate oat peanut butter bars





Our little explorer.  He has taught me so much about life, and making the most of its passing moments.  The afternoons can get boring for him, as his brother is in school and baby is napping.  So I’ve started to intentionally spend some time getting into his world, which usually involves going outside.  This ritual has become so special, time well spent. That I know we will look back years from now and will not remember what I wasn’t able to check off my “to-do list,” but it will matter that we walked through the woods and the fields, overturning every leaf looking for bugs and cocoons and frogs.





















The trees that have unveiled their thorns as their leaves fell.  
Horses eager for another ear of corn or apple.  




The shadow of a boy marching to his own rhythm.
The changing of seasons.  
It's not likely that he will always call me to come play.  I just have to be sure not to miss when he does now.  This season may pass all too soon.   I'm learning to savor what we have today.


















These are so good, and take me back to my childhood, when a friend of our family had a wheat allergy.  She would make these for our New Year's Eve parties or Trivial Pursuit gatherings.  She used spelt flour.  But we've made them for years with regular flour.  This last week, I made them with a rice flour blend, and was asked for the recipe.  So, here it is...Enjoy :)
Chocolate Oat Peanut Butter Bars
(there's got to be a better name than that - anyone?)
1 c. oats (I use gluten-free home-rolled oats :)
1 c. flour (I use a rice flour blend with 1/4 t. xanthan gum)
1 c. brown sugar (I use sucanat)
1 stick melter butter
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 egg
1 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
Stir together and press into greased 9x12pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  
When slightly cool, frost with:
Best Chocolate Frosting...Ever.
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
1 c. chocolate chips
1 t. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
Bring milk and butter to boil in saucepan over med-high heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Blend in choc. chips, vanilla and pdr. sugar.  Beat until smooth.  













2 comments: