Monday, November 8, 2010

roasted pumpkin seeds



This post may be completely overdue, as traditional pumpkin carving was a few weeks ago, but we've been snacking on them all week...until life group came over last night and polished them off :)  



Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
2-3 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
2 T. melted coconut oil
1 t. kosher salt
Rinse pumpkin seeds well.  Set out overnight to dry.  Preheat oven to 300.  Toss seeds in bowl with melted coconut oil and salt.  Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.


This verse has been on my mind so much lately...
The LORD has already told you what is good, and this is what He requires: 
to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.  
Micah 6.8

How did life get so hectic and become so much other than that?  
What do we need to simplify in order not to miss this?
Isn't this all that truly matters?  

I'm an old soul.  There is something that comes alive in me when I reach for our early 1900's silver serving spoons or wear my 1930's pearl necklace.  I know, it's silly.  But, I walked into a house this week built in 1923, grasped hold of the original doorknobs and ascended the old stairs into the attic that I could so perfectly see turned into a play room...and something inside me smiled.  We're putting an offer on that house today.  And praying God would make it very clear whether or not we are to be there.  Because really, as much as I love the character and history and view, we aren't certain what the foundation is like.  And that's what truly matters.  I can pick out paint colors and refinish the hardwood floors and sew curtains.  But if the foundation is cracked or rotten, it doesn't matter.  

How is this so clear when looking for a house, and yet my daily life can be so contrary?  Polishing what I can on the outside, renovating what seems to be important to others, and yet, rotting in my core.  White-washed tombs, Jesus calls it.  I'm only starting to uncover what this means for me.  Part of it means less time on here.  As much as I love doing this blog and facebook and soulemama and ann voskamp and moneysavingmom and buds and blossoms :) I can't let it be a distraction from what He requires, what He delights in.  To do what is right.  To love mercy.  And to walk humbly with my God.  I want that.

There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful, 
than that of a continual conversation with God; 
those only can comprehend it who practice and experience it.  
- Brother Lawrence, Practicing the Presence of God

2 comments:

  1. lovely, Sara. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, we'll just have to find ourselves 2 homes in the country now that we can't be island girls together :)

    ReplyDelete