Thursday, November 4, 2010

broccoli cheddar soup

Days are long.  Nights are even longer when daddy is away.  So when we told the boys he had a trip this week, their disappointment was evident.  Then, I numbered all the fun things I’d planned for our time while he was away, including dinners at some friends’ houses, Toy Story 3 premier (for us), special pizza/popcorn craft night with mama, etc.  Miles exclaims “This is gonna be the best week ever!”  Andy and I looked at each other with a smile and sigh of relief.  These boys love their dad.  And, we miss him.  And, I could make myself very sad thinking about that anymore…
But what a beautiful reminder it has been to give thanks in all things.  Just as the boys needed to be reminded of the blessings that would happen this week to refresh their spirit, so must I.  Sure, there have been times when bedtime can’t come soon enough, and then once it does, the creaks of an old house in the country flood my mind with wonderings, and I long for morning…So I’ve had my pen and paper poised to record the many blessings.  And, I love how the boys come write what’s on their mind.  Jack drew a picture of the earth this morning, then he drew Saturn and said he’s thankful for all the aliens who come visit him.  
But on the more “realistic” notes...
- Waking up with my love gone, and the words of Psalm 121 on my mind "Where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, who made the heavens and the earth!  He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep."
- The twinkle in Jack's eye when he tells me of a sneaky boy at school, pauses and looks at me and says "Well, I'm sneakier than him."
- Jude's warm, pudgy hand holding my 2 fingers on our morning errands.
- Those little blue eyes that search mine.
- Watching Miles in the rear view mirror belt out "O God you are my God" on the way to school.
- Jack's apology last night: "Sorry, mom, for the way I act...everyday" 
- The first of the morning hugs.
- Lying down in peace, trusting the One who keeps watch over us.
- And, a big batch of
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
6 tbsp. butter, divided
¾ cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
4 cups small broccoli florets
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ tsp. onion salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
4 tbsp. flour (rice flour blend for me :)
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black peppe
r
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.  Add the onion to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the carrots to the pan and cook a couple minutes more.  Stir in the broccoli, chicken broth, onion salt and garlic powder.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter.  Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, whisking constantly.  Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes.  Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the cheese until completely melted.  Remove from the heat and add the cheese sauce to the soup pot.  Allow to simmer until warmed through and broccoli is tender.  Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  If desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smooth texture.

2 comments:

  1. oh, sara, i love it! your boys are just precious. i think it'd be delightful to meet up for a playdate with you all. btw, i'm keeping a gratitude journal as well...so good for the soul. praying for you now and your time away from your hubs. (and i imagine your home in the country is adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, you are welcome anytime - i would love it as well! do you read ann voskamp, a holy experience? she was one who really inspired me in this. thanks for your prayers - i usually don't sleep well when he's gone, but last week was a sweet exception :)

    ReplyDelete