Sunday, November 14, 2010

chicken tostadas

Snapshots of our weekend.
We had some saints visit our home Friday. They watched our kids so we could escape to a meal without asking a child to use their fork and eat over their plate. And if that wasn’t enough to fill our hearts with gratitude, they raked our leaves while we were gone. Overflowing with gratitude now. 




Andy was gone all day Saturday, but returned with these vintage doorknobs, which brought such a smile to my face. It was so sweet that he remembered the store we’d seen them in 3 hours from here (but I didn’t realize what a steal they were at the time) and that he went out of his way to make it there after his meeting. These are perfect for a fun project I've been waiting to make...














Sunday was a birthday party for a sweet little 2 year old. I dusted off the ole sewing machine to make him a little bag (from a pair of Andy's old shorts :) It feels good to create. And, little boys need a bag for their treasures. Our boys fill theirs with rocks, frogs and insects (plastic ones...usually).














And what better way to end the weekend than with popcorn, story time and some “Pharoah Pharoah”? Jude singing “Let me people go. Huh, huh” is almost too much!






I started making this recipe in the summer when we grilled Victa's amazing chicken and had some leftover (which rarely happens :)  Or, last week I roasted a whole chicken and used most for enchiladas, but had some leftover.  So, I made some of these for a quick lunch the next day.  I like it because it's a great way to improvise and use what you have.  I have 2 different pictures to show this.

Chicken Tostadas
Tortillas (I use corn or rice, but flour tortillas work too)
Sauce (For these I used leftover green salsa/sour cream/cilantro mixture from the burritoes, but you can also use salsa)
Leftover chicken
Cumin and Garlic Powder (if chicken is unseasoned, like from a roast)
Cheese
Cilantro, Peppers, Tomatoes, or Green Onions for toppings
Bake tortillas at 400 for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile saute peppers and onions if using.  Toss chicken with cumin and garlic powder (for 2 cups of chicken, I use 1 t. of each).  Remove tortillas from oven and cover with sauce of choice, seasoned chicken, cheese and any other preferred vegetables (beans work too).  Bake 8-10  minutes.  Top with remaining desired ingredients.


1 comment:

  1. love that bag, sara! and love the door knobs - i'm a sucker for old door parts myself. we have hinges hanging on the wall in our guest room. can't wait to see what you make with them. please do share! :)

    ReplyDelete