Thursday, September 8, 2011

the sweeter song

We have a new addition to our favorite breakfast foods.  And, it's soooo easy!  {I welcome easy, when it involves getting 3 kids (who don't like cereal...) out the door by 8.40, dressed, fed, teeth brushed (and maybe, hair)}

baked peach pancake
2 cups fresh, sliced, peeled peaches
3 eggs
1/2 cup GF flour blend
1/2 cup milk  
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
Ground cinnamon

In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add the flour, milk, xanthan gum and salt; beat until smooth.  Place butter in a pie pan; bake at 400° for 3 to 5 minutes or until melted. Immediately pour batter into hot pan. Sprinkle cinnamon evenly over top.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pancake has risen and puffed all over.  Fill with peach slices. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.  Serve immediately with maple syrup.


I could confess all the ways we've missed the head of our table, the 5th plate, my personal barista, his stopping me in my tracks for a hug, an extra hand or two...but you know.  You can imagine that comes out in various ways: testing limits, crawling in bed with me at all hours of the night, a little extra referee-ing needed.  No matter how the day unfolds, I have made sure at bedtime to lay beside them and let them ask any 3 questions they have.  Jack wants to know how the world works {how does a mirror work?  how do they make paper?}  Miles tries to figure out how relationships and people work.  {why do people have to work on saturdays? will you help me with my wedding registry?}  
There is a softening of spirit as they realize I am with them, that I am for them.  There may even be apologies for rude attitudes and not listening, hugs and forgiveness {I may have a few apologies of my own...}
All is well that ends well. 
I pray for His mercies anew to do this again in the morning.  
And, He is so mercy-full.


We are sleepy, but happy.  Ready for him to come home, but enjoying each other.  While I miss his leg to warm my cold feet at nights, there's something special about falling asleep with His Word fresh on my mind, asking that it take root in my heart.
When all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy.  
You knew you had better things waiting for you in eternity.  hebrews 10.34

I have a long way to go...but there's progress.  And for that, I'm thankful.  
Learning that "accepting with joy" what is before us, this moment, 
is a much sweeter song than dwelling on what we don’t have.  






You may be thinking how many posts can this girl write about being thankful??  Sorry...I guess the more I practice it, the more I hope it's ingrained.  I don't want to waste another day humming the bitter notes of discontent.  So, we practice the sweeter song.  Sung to the tune of: There is always always always something to be thankful for...  
572. laid back Saturdays
573. cardboard box + wooden spoon = hours of entertainment
574. free Clarensau album download:  http://www.clarensau.com/
575. their song "Sheets" on repeat
576. the sun breaking through the clouds
577. dear friends keeping me company
578. precious, much-needed, one-on-one time with my little men
579. "Mom, since you're a queen, I want to eat at Mc D's, but I don't want our queen to be sick, so let's go to Chipotle." - Miles
580. Jack's eyelashes and the dimple in his eyes when he smiles
581. Jude's grip around my neck when I give him a goodnight hug
582. new mornings, fresh starts
583. hearing his voice
584. grandma joining us for a few days!!!  {jack setting up her room}
585. long talks with her while canning peaches
586. her wisdom, insight and prayers
587. paper plates, for days like these
588. playing legos instead of making dinner
589. popcorn, hard-boiled eggs, salami, cheese and veggies for dinner 
590. His grace is sufficient!

2 comments:

  1. Sara, I am not sure if I have ever told you this, but you are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jamie. Thanks so much for your kindness. Your words mean alot to me!

    ReplyDelete