Saturday, February 26, 2011

the battle of the cornbreads

Sometimes I feel like I am in such a surreal passage of life.  I can still hardly believe I am a mom.  And that I have 3 boys.  And that they are not-so-little anymore!  Today Miles asks me to sew him a yellow tablecloth so he can take it to California when he turns 25.  Jack places his cowboy vest on my sewing machine to sew a pocket in for all his adventures.  Baby Jude holds entire conversations with his brothers, with phrases like “not weally.”  How did we get here so fast?  

We’re coming up on birthday season in our home.  I always try to have another year covered in their scrapbook before their birthday (just one page per year, that’s not too much to ask, right?)  Wellllll, I haven’t even started Jude’s yet…  But, I look back at these pages and can barely remember the days that seemed so long that blended into nights that faded into weeks of colicky babies and sleep deprivation and singing a lot of “I need thee every hour” and wondering when, or if it would ever end...     



I have always been so thankful for older moms in my life who take the time to tell me to hold each day close, treasure every moment.  My mom reminds me to look into their eyes and smile at them as much as I can.  Another mom calls me on a snow day and at the end of our conversation says "enjoy your boys today!"  Which, spins me into wondering what it’s like for her, with her oldest in college, 2 high schoolers and 1 middle schooler, and thinking that season seems so far away...

But, it’s almost been 8 years.  Another 8 and he'll be driving (yikes!)  Pretty soon he WILL be 25, moving to California with his yellow tablecloth packed… (Sigh...)

Today, Andy is working on the house.  I am here.  Home with my boys.  And my heart is so full.  Treasuring these moments.  Piecing together samples for lunch, which is the fancy way to say leftovers 'round here.  Studying the way his foot dangles from his chair, smiling at him who cannot sit still and the imagination that goes with that and thanking God for how far he has come - I never would have imagined…
So... I haven’t been the best at returning calls or e-mails or really much of anything (stop by our house, and you will see…) The boys had 3 snow days this week, which has been a wonderful gift.  Making fresh tracks on a hill that calls our names.  







Collecting the moments one by one, I guess that’s how the future’s done.  



One thing we did do this week was settle on our favorite cornbread recipe, so that's "somebling" (which still makes me smile to hear Jack say :)


We have had quite the battle of the cornbreads over here, trying to land on our favorite gluten-free cornbread recipe.  Turns out it's pretty close to the "world's best cornbread," which we liked but thought it was too sweet.  So here is the adapted, gluten-free version.


world's best gluten-free cornbread (but I'm always open for suggestions :)
This makes a lot, so I made half this amount, and bake it in a 9" square pan.
1/2 c. sugar (I use sucanat)
1/4 c. softened butter
4 eggs
1/4 c. honey
1 1/3 c. milk
2 1/3 c. GF flour (I use an all-purpose brown rice/potato/tapioca flour mix)
1 1/2 T. baking powder
1/2 c. cornmeal
1 t. salt
1 t. guar gum
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream sugar and butter. Add in eggs, honey and milk and mix well.  Mix together flour, baking powder, corn meal, guar gum and salt. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients carefully. Do not overmix. Batter will be lumpy.  Pour batter in greased 11×14-inch baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment