Thursday, February 10, 2011

baked oatmeal...a taste of florida

I have spent way too many winters wishing them away, anxious for birds singing and green sprouting and longer days and warmer sun and flowers blooming.  This year I was determined to be different.  And it has.  We have enjoyed our winter sledding, cuddling indoors, stocking up at the grocery to feed our army when weather reports forecast blizzards, the surprise of snow days, and simplifying the day. 
But it’s February, and this warm-blooded mama starts to get a little stir-crazy... 

So, today I was washing dishes, thinking about the last 5 years I have gone to stay with my friend Jules in Florida and all the fun we had (and last year adding Brooke to the mix :)  And how this is the time I really look forward to that Florida escape, feeling like I need it.  I won’t go too far with this, because I do believe breaks are so helpful in helping a mom regain perspective.  But this year, we’re renovating a home.  
I am seeking the beauty here.  And I will freeze my buns off searching if I have to!  

Because washing the dishes yesterday, the sun called me outside like it was 80 degree West Palm Beach sky, so we ventured.  And we learned trekking through snow up to our knees, as cumbersome as it can be to make those fresh tracks, the first steps are the hardest to make.  I looked back at how far we’d come and felt the burn in my lungs and the sting on our cheeks and glanced over at the boy so eager to venture with me and all I could do is fall down in the deep deep snow and laugh.  Because it really wasn’t that far, just took lots of energy and gumption.  But from then on out, it was just following in the tracks left behind.  We’re covering new territory, this loving where we’re at.  Seeking the beauty in the right here, right now.  I’m determined.  I’m preaching it to myself a lot.  And I’m starting to see tracks…



































Because do you know what I heard today?
Birds singing.  Chirping away in 10 degree weather like it’s spring.  
Didn’t they get the memo that it’s freezing cold out there?  
Or is there really always reason to sing like it’s spring…

Nothing here below is profane
for those who know how to see.
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin




















We don't have to change what we see.
Only the way we see.
Ann Voskamp

And, I might not have the Florida sun and fun and tangerine tree... but this is a taste of Florida for me.  We make this regularly 'round here, thanks to Jules!

baked oatmeal
1/2 c. melted butter
3/4 c. brown sugar (I use 1/2 c. sucanat)
2 beaten eggs
3 c. quick oats (I use GF oats)
1 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder
Mix everything and pour into 8" greased square pan. Bake at 350 for 20-30 min.  Serve with fresh berries and milk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment