Monday, February 14, 2011

'i heart you' pancakes

What better way to kick off the day than with some gluten-free pancakes, which I just realized I've never shared with you before.  This is one of those recipes we made gluten-free long before we had to...Just because when we first tried them, we were hooked.  

gluten-free pancakes
1 c. GF flour (see below)
2 T. ground flax meal
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 c. milk
2 T. oil

Stir together flour, flax, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In another mixing bowl, mix well the eggs, milk and oil.  Add egg mixture to dry mixture; stir well.  
Pour onto hot griddle or greased pan.  Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until slightly brown and flip.  

GF Flour Mix:
4 c. brown rice flour
1 1/3 c. potato starch
2/3 c. tapioca starch

I made them heart-shaped, because I just have a whole lotta love for these guys...  

I heart my Miles-man.  I love his toothless grin, and that he didn’t even mind that the tooth fairy didn’t come until Friday after he lost his tooth on Monday.  My heart floods with gratitude for how far he has come.  I can’t get enough of him belting out “Not to us, but to your name be the glory.”  I am refreshed by his spirit, his courage, his faith. 


I heart my Jack-son.  I love his chicklet teeth, and that ornery grin of his.  I love that he was the one who finally wrote a note to me and laid it on me while I was asleep that said: mom, can the tooth fary please com?  I smile at how he hums “La Vie en Rose.”  I learn so much from his love for life, his sense of adventure, and I love when he lets me see that soft heart under there. 


I heart my Ju-ju.  I love his rosy cheeks, and his chunky toes.  I love how imaginative he is, and how I never know what his feet or hands have turned into when I get him up from a nap.  My heart melts when he crawls into my lap for cuddles.  I never want that baby chuckle to go away, nor the way his pudgy hand fits in mine. 

(by the way, I found him saying "giddy-up horsey" in his crib like this.  funny, it looked like just a quilt to me, but to him, that's montana the horse right there :)







And this guy.  Oh man, I heart him.  I love his olive eyes, and the way they search mine.  My heart still skips a beat in that moment at the end of the day when he walks through the door and says “hello gorgeous.”  I love how he pursues my heart.
You turn me into somebody loved.

With all this love, we are so blessed to share it tonight with those in our community who have no structure from the storm, no house to keep them warm.  Those who are at the mercy of others for their meals and shelter.  And I couldn't imagine anywhere more special to be with my family, so full of love, than reaching out to those in need.  

The only reason I would hesitate to say anything is for fear of how this could be perceived.  I have nothing to boast about in this - it's one meal.  But one we feel so blessed to be a part of providing.


Have a wonderful valentine's day, sharing the love, people!

  




No comments:

Post a Comment