Saturday, October 30, 2010

spinach pesto egg casserole

Over the Rhine concert last night with my love.  I’ve never met Karin and Linford, but somehow feel like they’ve become part of our lives.  Their lyrics and tunes were more than another show to me, but a nostalgic trip down memory lane… 
:. 10 years ago, dreaming with a shimmering engagement ring in a certain boy's humble apartment on Chestnut St. “We don’t need a lot of money, we’ll be sleeping on the beach, keeping oceans within reach…”
:.Newlyweds at Cornerstone holding each other under the stars listening to Karin sing “The heart that beats is yours inside of me…”
:.Starting many a road trip with “Take a slow curve on a back road with one hand on the wheel…”
:.Rocking our colicky babies with the resolve to “No more drowning in my sorrow, no more drowning in my pride, I will ride on the backs of angels tonight...”
:.Our years in Ohio “Hello Ohio, the back roads, I know Ohio like the back of my hand…”
:.The many lyrics I can’t listen to when Andy’s away because they remind me so much of him it hurts.  “There is no home without you..."
:.Turning to her magic voice in the car when our babes need to fall asleep so we can have some quiet conversation to be reminded “I was born to laugh, I learn to laugh through my tears.  I was born to love, I’m gonna learn to love without fear…”   
:.And at the end of a weary day, longing for that moment when “The trumpet child will lift a glass.  His bride now leaning in at last.  His final aim to fill with joy the earth that man all but destroyed…”

This is a casserole I made for MOM’s group yesterday.  For those who asked for the recipe, here ya go!

 Spinach Pesto Egg Casserole
4 potatoes, cut into small cubes and placed in cold water, then drained (I didn't peel them)
1/4 - 1/3 c. oil (didn't measure this time...)
salt and pepper
8 eggs3-4 T. pesto (I used homemade, which was just lots of basil, so I used more like 1/3 cup)
1 c. milk
1 t. salt 
pepper
2 c. spinach, finely chopped
2 c. cheese (I used a blend of parmesan, romano, asiago)

Toss well-drained potatoes with oil, salt and pepper.  Roast on a greased cookie sheet at 400 for 1 hour until browned, turning throughout.  (I did this the night before.)  Whisk eggs, milk, pesto, salt and pepper.  Layer potatoes, then spinach, then cheese.  Pour egg mixture over.  Bake covered 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover if cheese needs browned on top a bit.

This was all very much improvised, and I'm sure you could do all sorts of different combinations - bacon and cheddar, italian sausage, mushrooms, green pepper...

You could also use store-bought frozen hash brown cubes in place of the potatoes.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
 Over here, we're learning to sing "the world can wait..."





No comments:

Post a Comment