Tuesday, October 19, 2010

rice and beans. beans and rice.

In honor of Dave Ramsey, this post is about rice and beans, beans and rice.  I first started making this dish when I married a Brazilian almost 10yrs. ago.  It became a staple in our home, atleast once a week - more during seminary and even more when we went through "Financial Peace University" with Dave Ramsey.  We eat it daily the week before family vacation (and sometimes daily the week after...)  Awhile ago, I started making extra rice for a quick fried rice the next day.  It's become one of our boys' favorite meals.  And now, with adding a pao di queijo (cheese bread, that happens to be gluten free and delicious!) recipe to it I found, it's one of mine.  Brazilians typically eat rice and beans with every meal.  And, as we look at put an offer on a house this week, we may soon be eating it every meal too :)


There are so many variations to making this.  Have fun tweaking it to your taste.  I have through the years, and have grown to like this method because it's fast, easy, yummy and cheap.


Brazilian Rice and Beans (or atleast my version of it)
Rice:
1 c. brown rice (I personally like basmati rice better, but do this because it's better for us)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 c. water
1 t. salt (I use arisco, a brazilian garlic salt seasoning)
Rinse rice with water until clear.  Dry saute rice with garlic in skillet over medium heat until it has the nutty smell to it, and is dry.  Add hot water.  Bring to boil.  Reduce to low and cover.  SImmer 45 min.  (Don't peak - keep the lid on!)  Remove from heat and let sit covered 10 min.  Fluff with fork and serve with beans.


Beans:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can black beans (or dry beans cooked to soft consistency covered in salt water)
cumin (I use lots, maybe 1 T.)
Saute garlic in 1 T. oil.  Add beans, not drained (unless using dry beans, drain the water until it's the amount of liquid in a can and mash some of the beans).  Add cumin and simmer on low until heated through.


Vinaigrette:
2 roma tomatoes (don't have to be, but for an idea of volume of tomatoes)
1/4 green pepper
1/4 red onion
as much cilantro as desired
olive oil
apple cider vinegar (OR freshly squeezed lime juice)
In small bowl, combine finely chopped veggies.  Pour over olive oil and vinegar.  Season with salt (again, I use arisco, but you could use garlic salt).




Stay tuned for a whole other post about the pao di queijo because they're just that good!  I'm glad I was able to crop out the 4 boys who were trying to gnaw off my hand while I had to take a quick picture of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment