Saturday, October 16, 2010

freezing apples

I tried something new this year.  I enjoy canning applesauce and apple butter.  But I didn't pick many apples this year.  And the ones I picked seemed too precious to throw into applesauce.  
So, I peeled the apples we picked and froze them for apple pie or apple crisp.  It didn't take long at all, and I know I will be thankful to pull these out of the freezer for  a fast, harvest-fresh treat on a cold winter's night.

3 c. peeled, sliced apples
1/3 c. sucanat or sugar 
2 T. flour (I use a GF rice flour-based blend)
2 t. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients in saucepan and stir on medium heat until apples are starting to cook.  Cool and place into bags.  I measured 3 cups in a bag because 1 bag will make apple crisp and 2 bags will make a pie.  

To use:  Thaw in fridge overnight and follow recipe of your choice.  This is the one we use:


apple crisp
3 c. peeled, sliced apples
1/3 c. sucanat or sugar
2 T. flour (I use a GF rice flour-based blend)
2 t. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients in saucepan and stir on medium heat until apples are starting to cook.  Pour into oblong-shaped dish and top with:
¾ c. oats
½ c. sucanat or brown sugar
¼ t. baking powder
¼ c. nuts
¾ c. flour (again, I use a GF rice flour blend)
¼ t. soda
¼ t. salt
1/3 c. melted butter
Mix well.  Sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 375 for 30 min.


This may be the reason why so little apples were picked this year...but he sure is cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment