Monday, August 29, 2011

i'm hooked.

This weekend, we crossed one more off our summer-lovin' list.  Fishing!
I'm a pioneer woman at heart: foraging, sewing, canning...
But this was a first for me - to take the fish from the river to the frying pan.
And, I'm hooked!
Don't misunderstand - I still like my hot showers, soft pillows, and reverse-osmosis water.
But part of me is intrigued at the idea of giving all that up to live off the land, atleast for a few hours :)




Miles reeled in a 20 inch northern pike (with the help of Mr. Jordan).  I wish I could have gotten a pic of him holding the fish, but you can see from the above their hesitation.  So, we got one of them petting him :)
Large fish #2 - Our boys were learning from the pro!  I love that this pic looks like it could have been taken in Africa.  (Again, note Jack petting the fish...sigh.)

Northern pike filleted - thanks to Joel!
 Bounty of blue gill
 Seriously, what a guy!
There are lots of good batter mixes out there.  But you'll pay an arm and a leg for a gluten-free one.  So, I improvised.  And everyone approved. 
Gluten-Free Fish Fry
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup chickpea flour ("besan" - I get it from the Indian grocery store)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons garlic salt (I used "arisco" - a brazilian seasoning salt)
some dashes of chili powder
Mix and add gluten-free beer, club soda, or water to the mix until it's battery.
Dip cleaned, washed and patted dry fish into the batter.  Fry.  
(Preferably with an anthropologie apron on, for even more irony :)

Now there is something already delicious about eating fresh fish caught the night before.  But add on the experience and the process, and this is a meal that was thoroughly anticipated and savored (along with some oven fries, salad, and iced tea).


School may have started, but summer-fun is still to be had.
Soak in these days, friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment