Sunday, May 8, 2011

mother's day reflections

Washing the lunch dishes, I look outside and see this.  Jack pulling Jude around in the wagon.  It's simple.  But it's images like this that fill me up, offer hope, and make it all worth it.
Some days the calling as a mom seems higher than I can climb.  Many nights I have come to the end of my day, recounting my many failings, overwhelmed by how much I got wrong.  Wondering how I'll ever get it all right.  
I read this week:
It’s not that you aren’t going to blow it. It is what you do with it, when you do.
Motherhood does not require, thankfully, perfection. It simply requires commitment and humility. - Ann Voskamp


I'm not a perfect mom.  And I don't have perfect kids.  So, it's a good thing I'm not a perfect mom!  Otherwise, how would they ever learn to respond to all that they do wrong?  I have many opportunities to show them, 'cuz I blow it a lot...  

Where is the balance between letting them dance to the rhythm of their own drums and teaching them how to be a peaceful member of society?  Sometimes I see all that needs "course-corrected," and where do I even begin?  Because when momma gets on mission to change hearts, it ain't pretty!  There is only one Heart-Changer I know.


So, some days I put this song on repeat.  I need to be reminded.  
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
- Nichole Nordeman


I don't know where this path will lead, but I can take the next step of choosing to love.  Pointing to Him.  Blessing His name.

How thankful I am that we are not on this journey alone!
…He gently leads those that have young… 
isaiah 40.11


Happy Mother's Day!
especially to a certain mum in Woo-town and a certain mum in Brasil.  
We love and celebrate you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these thoughts, friend. Humility and commitment...so true. Your kiddos are so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement Holl. Would next Tuesday morning work for you to chat? Looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete