Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NICE bar

My first bite of a KIND bar was at a trader joe's sample station, which our family usually makes a bee-line for.  Andy talked me into buying a couple, even though they were $1.50 a bar!  Ever since, I have wanted to learn to make them...because I like them more than I knew I could bring myself to buy them.
mini CRANBERRY ALMOND + ANTIOXIDANTS
So, I pulled out some dates, almonds, cherries, walnuts, blended them up, and made them into a bar, kinda-like a KIND bar.  Is that legal?  I probably need to come up with an original name.  How about NICE BAR... It's a little catchier than Amiable Bar or Friendly Bar.  
And so very nice, it is!




NICE BAR
2 cups pitted dates, roughly chopped
1 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons honey
Heat dates and cranberries in pan on medium-low to warm slightly, one minute.  Transfer to food processor - pulse until it forms a thick, rough paste.  (Doesn't need to be smooth.)  Add walnuts, almonds, and honey.  Pulse until the mixture comes together in a ball.  Transfer to a parchment (or waxed paper) lined container.  I used a square 9" pan.  Firmly press into container.  Refrigerate for half an hour.  Remove from container, and cut into 10 bars.  Wrap individually in plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Keep refrigerated until use.


I can see these accompanying us on many future explorations.  For now, it is a little boost of energy after a full day of work, for my love to coach our boys' t-ball game and now be working late on getting the house ready for insulation Wednesday!


The boys?  Well, they don't need any extra energy, but they sure enjoy them!  And, we have had some very nice days.  Days where I turn around and find this.


Or this!


This doesn't always happen.  But when it does, I treasure these moments in my heart, and praise them wildly for sitting so closely to their brothers, playing so nice-ly!  Maybe I should make these bars more often :)

2 comments:

  1. So I was just thinking the other day "I wonder if Sara has a recipe for a granola type bar?" wild! And can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds, I guess :) I have another one we really like, I'll share soon... Hope you are having a wonderful vaca!

    ReplyDelete