Tuesday, April 5, 2011

this year in bloom



I haven't gotten to the age where I dread my birthday.  I know I am supposed to start doing that soon.  It probably has something to do with me pulling into the driveway of our old house (that we haven't lived in for 7 months) on my way home the other day...or catching myself repeating what I just said...or wondering half the time if I said something or just thought it...  Add all those up, and I'm still okay with getting older.  Very thankful, in fact.


At 33, I have finally acknowledged the fact that I feel uncomfortable when happy birthday is sung to me.  I get embarrassed.  And don't know where to look.  So, this year I started singing along...     


Andy surprised me by reuniting some friends and preparing quite the spread: sushi, steamed asparagus and broccoli, salad, a gluten-free chocolate cake that he baked at work for me, and yellow tulips :)

One of my favorite moments of the evening was Miles' prayer: "Thank you that we can celebrate mom's birthday today, even though normally it's on Friday."  I love hearing his thoughts...


I am so glad you stopped by, friends.  
17 years - that is some crazy seasons of life we have seen each other through!  
 
I may forget where I live, or the name of the son I am calling after, and that may seem scary when I'm only 33.  What is the future going to hold...

But the wisdom that comes from God is first of all pure.  
It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others.  
It is full of mercy and good deeds.  
It shows no partiality and is always sincere.  
And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace 
and reap a harvest of goodness.
 James 3.17-18 (NLT)

I am praying it holds much of this.  I want this soooo badly.  All of it.
I know I don't have the strength to muster it up.  It must come from God.  
So I'm asking.  
This is my birthday wish.  
To grow in wisdom.  To plant peace.  To bloom goodness.  



4 comments:

  1. Nothing can top the flaming flower cake!! :o)
    So glad that you had this sweet time. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holl that is for sure... what a scorging memory :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you sang along! :) So happy you were celebrated by friends and family. You are a beautiful woman, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ang - your words mean alot! It is a happy day to celebrate another year with those we love - you should try singing too :)

    ReplyDelete