Thursday, April 21, 2011

pavlova

and other stuff that makes me smile...
free coffee at starbucks tomorrow, april 22!!!  
just bring in your own travel mug and they will fill it, for earth day.
last year's chives have sprung - don't they just look like they're saying TA DA!
this song Andy sent to me, a friend like him :)
jude singing "head and shoulders, knees and crocs" 
jack sharing his pop rocks with jude (and his reaction to the fizzing in his mouth)
So much more...spontaneous hugs, more cowbell, t-ball starting again, my first traditional passover meal, the 1st week of men working on our house, level floors! 

But the true joy in my heart...
Has nothing to do with circumstance or this world around me, that can seem like a house of cards, how quickly life can change.  If my confidence, my hope, my joy is based on the stuff of this world, how will it not crumble?  
Has everything to do with God's love for us. 
Displayed most powerfully on the cross, the reason we remember Good Friday.  Jesus taking the punishment for our sins, that we may have peace with God, that we may know His fellowship, His favor.  
How much we have to celebrate!

Andy's sister's family is coming for Easter!!!  
I wanted to make pavlova for Easter dinner, but every time I have tried, it has failed miserably. But I love the stuff so much, I could not give up.  So, last night a group was coming over - I decided to try again.  I'm so glad I did!
The key, I believe, is:
1. a kitchen-aid.  (the 1st time I tried was with a hand-held, and after 10+ minutes of beating, my arm fell off)
2. room-temperature eggs. 
3. a good recipe.  

Pavlova
Makes 6 - I doubled for the larger group.
2 large egg whites, room temperature  (KEEP THE YOLKS and make this.  It's so good!!)
8 tablespoons sugar, divided  (one of the few recipes I use white sugar - not powdered, but the finer the crystal, the better)
3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon distilled vinegar

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 275°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using glass as aid, trace six 2 1/2-inch circles on parchment, spacing 2 to 3 inches apart; turn parchment over.  Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks begin to form. With mixer running, gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar. Whisk 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. With mixer running, gradually beat sugar-cornstarch mixture into meringue. Continue beating meringue until stiff glossy peaks form. Beat in vinegar. Divide meringue among parchment paper circles, spreading to fill completely (meringues will be about 1 1/2 inches high). Using back of spoon, form slight depression in center of each meringue.  Bake meringues until beige and dry to touch, about 20 minutes. Turn off oven and prop door open slightly with wooden spoon. Let meringues cool in oven until completely dry, about 1 hour. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit.

I topped with whipped coconut milk cream (a little honey added for sweetness) and blueberries.

1 comment:

  1. Your pavlova look divine! Let me know what morning works for me to call.

    ReplyDelete