Thursday, March 17, 2011

thin mint brownies




Happy Saint Patrick's Day,
and a top of da marnin' to ye lads and lassies!  
I'm not even going to pretend to know what St. Patty's day is about, but I love this prayer.  It's been a great start to our day.

.: The Prayer of St. Patrick :.
I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today
Against wounding
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of creation

We had 4 dear couples over last night, who are preparing to move overseas in the next few years (some of them months!)  How exciting to be a part of their journey!  I thought of them as I read this prayer this morning.  Whether we rise from our straw mat to the sound of the village roosters crowing to greet the morning, or crawl out from beneath our down comforter and place our toes into our bright blue Sorels.  Don't we all need this?  He is our strength, our hope, our purpose to begin another day!

In honor of Mr. Saint Patrick, we made some mint brownies, because he likes green.  Or is that the leprechaun?  Well, whoever likes green probably likes mint, and who can pass up a brownie?  No one could tell they were gluten-free.  Not even the leprechaun who must have snuck in and eaten a few before everyone got here...

Thin Mint Brownies
1 c. sugar (I use sucanat)
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. melted butter
2 unbeaten eggs
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. flour (I use GF brown rice flour-blend)
1/2 t. guar gum (if using GF flour)
1/2 t. baking powder
1 drop mint extract (or 1 t. vanilla)
Combine sugar and cocoa powder in large bowl.  Add melted butter and mix well.  Stir in unbeaten eggs.  Add flour, salt, baking powder, guar gum, and peppermint (or vanilla).  Beat until smooth.  Spread batter in greased 8x8  pan.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  When cool, spread with the following mixture:
Minty Cream Layer
1/4 c. butter
2 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
3 drops peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
Put frosted bars in refrigerator and  make the following mixture:
Chocolate Glaze
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 T. butter
Melt and spread very thin on mint frosting.


I feel so very lucky to be their mama.  Blessed, truly.  




No comments:

Post a Comment