Thursday, December 9, 2010

our gift for the King



One gift wrapped under the tree.  It’s not for any of us.  But we will all unwrap the gift and read what’s inside together on Christmas morning.  Notes that we’ve written.  Telling of kindness we’ve seen in others.  A brother lending a hand.  A father spending his day working to provide.  A son giving a hug.  Ways that we’ve seen each other carry out exactly what Jesus came to do, to serve and give our lives for others, what He asks us to do.  This is our gift to Jesus.  Yet what can I give Him?  I’ll give my heart.  Sarah McLachlan's lyrics reminded me this week of this tradition we would do as kids.  We still laugh over my brother writing "mom let me take a bath."  I can't wait to read what our boys will write.  But most of all, I want God to be honored.  He's given so much.  His only Son.  As a ransom for many.  
And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it (fed the hungry, gave the thirsty a drink, invited a stranger into your home, clothed the needy, cared for the sick, visited those in prison) to the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!'  Matthew 25.40

3 comments: